Mortadella is an Italian cured sausage, that in my opinion tastes like a jazzed up piece of bologna! There is an Italian deli that makes these amazing sandwiches here in this little town but when you have to buy three it can get expensive so I said “I’m going to give this a whirl and make my own twists.” Here is how it went! This serves three people.
You will need the following:
- Mortadella 1/4lb
- Eden Cheese 6 slices (You can use your favorite but a nice white cheese of some sort like provolone goes best. I also showed cheddar jack for those that have to go with cheddar. (I respect people’s cheese choice) 🙂
- Lettuce ( I sliced mine into shreds)
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/4 mayo (not the sandwich spread stuff real mayo if I wanted sugar I’d add it)
- 4 tbs of red wine vinegar
- 2 nice sub rolls ( you know the kind that’s soft inside but nice and chewy on the outside)
- Fresh Basil leaves
In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar and mayo until you have a nice pink liquid. It will be thin. Slice open the subs rolls and use a table spoon to ladle the mixture onto each side. You should get about two tables spoons on each. Trust me you do not want to skip this part as it makes the sandwich! Then place your mortadella slices and cheese as shown below.
Fold that baby up and slice her! I love pickles so I will always choose that over a chip. Let me know what you think! Personally i don’t think I will ever eat a sandwich again that doesn’t involve red wine vinegar! (Ummm unless it’s grilled cheese)