I was in the mood for something cheesy yet a little healthy, this is healthy right? Hey if it’s not, I don’t want to know ok? I have to do what I have to do to get spinach into an 11yr old girl without pulling the stunts I did when I was little. We won’t go into that. Anyway yes, this is a daughter approved recipe! Noodles, ricotta cheese, spinach and a marinara sauce ..it’s vegetarian night here the easy way. I got 15 rolls out of this which made enough for 5 people.
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 1 large jar of pasta sauce, 2 if you like a lot of sauce (9.5oz for 1 or 19oz for two jars)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 bag cut leaf spinach frozen is best for this I think
- 15-16 oz cottage cheese whole milk or part skim
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt (I use kosher)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 small chopped cloves of garlic
Take spinach out and place in a microwave safe bowl (Because I did not thaw ahead of time, which you can do) Microwave in 1 min increments until thawed and drain and squeeze all the excess water out, place in bowl and set aside.
You will need a large casserole dish. Mine is about a 11×9 glass and I have ladled in about 2 cups of some left over pasta sauce I had. You can use your favorite jarred or make your own. At the bottom, is a simple Marinara at the bottom if you need to make a quick one for reference.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, diced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 (28-ounce) cans peeled crushed tomatoes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
**** Simple Marinara sauce at bottom as well as yummy side item idea.
Directions: Sauté olive oil, onions, garlic in a hot pot, add in tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil leaves let simmer for about 15min. That simple. Enjoy!