To say gnocchi is one of Heaven’s little gifts would put it mildly. These pillowy puffs of goodness are not only comforting but so versatile. These can be made into wonderful savory dishes or sweet with touches of cinnamon and sugar. I love it best Sicilian style. Now the traditional way is just brown butter and sage, a little salt and done. I like to take it a touch further and add cheese, garlic and fresh basil with the sage. This is my comfort food.
You will need: Serves 4
- 3 packs of 16oz gnocchi. I use Gia Russa which is available at most grocers.
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of Italian shredded cheese
- 4 slices of Sargento provolone mozzarella cheese
- 1 stick of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh basil diced roughly
- 5 sage leaves sliced roughly
First thing I do is chop all of the fresh herbs, cheese slices and garlic then set them aside.
Take a large sauce pan, add your butter and let it melt. Medium heat until the butter completely liquefies and gets a nice color. Sprinkle a little salt in the pan and add your garlic that has been nicely minced. Do not let that garlic burn so add it at the end right before you add the gnocchi.