This is an easy one dish wonder. It’s perfect for the weeknight. I love how this one braises itself with all the herbs, spices and lemons. I was so worried the chicken would be dry on this one because I went the healthy route and used boneless skinless chicken breast instead of skin on. Well it wasn’t, there is truly magic in lemons when it comes to tenderizing chicken. This came out just delicious, and I love the flavors that everything had right down to the beans. There was not a serving left except for one small side of green beans which was perfect for me to take to work the next day.
You will need:
- 1 pound of fresh green beans washed and deviened
- 16 small Yukon potatoes red and gold
- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 packet of veggie soup mix any kind
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil and parsley each chopped
- a few sprigs of sage chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 white onion chopped roughly
- 1 cup of artichokes marinated is fine or frozen
- 1 cup of water
- Olive oil for drizzling about 1/4 of a cup
- 2 lemons ( 2 quarters for squeezing the rest sliced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
First thing you do is something I forgot to take the picture for! so I will walk you through. You take your fresh green beans and wash them, cut the tips off and find that string on both ends running down the both sides of the green beans and strip them off. I used pole beans right from the garden so these were huge! Once you do that, you layer them in the bottom of your baking dish and that is step one. Next you start dicing those potatoes, onions and garlic.
Then take 1/4 of a lemon and squeeze right across all those veggies. My Daughter is helping with this one. I love knowing she will know how to cook when she gets older. You do not know how many people I have come across that never cook. I guess it has just always been a part of my life and I am so glad it is now a part of hers.
Take the other half of the soup mix and sprinkle this right on top of each piece of chicken. If it spills over into the potato mix no worries there!
And now all those fresh herbs….yum.
And there she is, the perfect dish. The meat, the veggie and the starch. Enjoy!