Oh Taquitos, I love them. Well, to be honest, I love anything creamy(as you know) with the word cheese in it. Fry them and they become just irresistible. BUT!! This time I decided to try Organic Red Palm Oil. It was sent to me by Nutiva. I was anxious to try it and even though it did not mention to use it for frying, I thought why not! It has a wonderful buttery flavor combined with high levels of antioxidant vitamins A and E and let’s face it; when your making something this decadent, you can use all the help you can get! I loved how this came up the rich red color. This oil kept it nice and crisp and the filling melted perfectly. A little sour cram and salsa on the side and your taquito is complete.
You will need: This made 12 taquitos
- 3-4 cups of cooked shredded chicken(I chose 2lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- 16 oz block of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of salsa (your favorite)
- 2 tbs diced roasted red pepper
- 2 tbs diced green chillies (canned)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs cilantro(I used the Gourmet Garden)
- 1/4 of a lime squeezed
- Optional*** Diced pickled tomatoes(or just use a few slices of a nice green tomato and dice them)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 diced serano pepper
- 1 tsp of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 12 soft tortilla shells 10″
- 1 Cup of Nutiva Organic Red Palm Oil for frying + 1 tbs.
First, place a pack of 2lbs of boneless skinless thighs into some water and cook until your chicken is done. It will be a nice bright white and tender.
I always like to prep everything I need. OCD? No! I just like to be ready as when you are taking pictures and cooking sometimes it gets a little crazy. I will admit though, it is so much easier to have everything ready to just add and mix when you need it. I prepped all of my veggies, the limes, and my one special serano pepper. This adds a little heat without being too overpowering. Hey, if my 12 year old ate it trust me you can too.
You may have to turn to another side as well. You want each side to have that nice golden crisp color. I love this oil. It has a lot of the same properties as olive oil. Don’t you love it when they say “this oil is good for you”? When you’re done with each one, lay them on a paper towel and serve.